Elementary Education Program Requirements
Jacksonville University, School of Education maintains a 100% pass rate for all State Approved Teacher Education Program candidates on all Florida Teacher Certification Examinations.
All students must apply to the Five Year Teacher Education Program during the first year in Education courses:
1. GPA 2.5 or above
2. Fingerprinting and successful background check
3. * Pass on the General Knowledge FTCE Exam
4. Submit SOE 5 Year Teacher Education Program Application
Requirements for application to the Graduate (fifth-year) program (must be a JU student):
1. Cumulative GPA of 3.0 and/or a score of 1000 on the GRE
2. *Pass on the Subject Area and Professional Educators FTCE Exams
3. Passed all Program required classes with a 'C' or higher.
4. Submit Student Teaching Application
5. Submit Fifth Year Teacher Education Program Application and references
* Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) documentation must be on file in the School of Education office at time of application.
Requirements for the State-Approved Teacher Education Program are as follows:
1. Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.50 in order to remain in good standing.
2. If the GPA drops below a 2.50, the student is placed on academic probation for one semester. Failure to fulfill the required GPA after one (1) semester probation will result in loss of candidacy in the State Approved Program.
1. Students receive both degrees (B.S./M.Ed.) at the successful completion of the M.Ed. coursework.
2. Students must pass all state and program related examinations
Each semester, every student has a field placement as part of their education class. The student begins with observations and builds over time to full-time student teaching in the final year. Field placements require the student to organize their class schedule with the schedule of the teacher they are placed with. Field placements are a wonderful opportunity to work in a wide range of settings with a variety of students.
Background Check Requirements
Participation in field experiences, which occur in public educational settings in Duval County and are required throughout the Teacher Preparation Program, necessitate finger printing and successful background clearance. Teacher Education Program and Education Minor students MUST be fingerprinted and have a cleared background check through Duval County Public Schools at the beginning of the first semester in the School of Education. The cost of the fingerprinting varies usually between $80-$90 and must be paid before the fingerprint appointment. Fingerprinting is the responsibility of the student. Field experiences will not be offered to students failing background and/or fingerprinting clearance.
All field experiences are off campus at K-12 schools in Duval County.