How do I record my hours?
Time sheets for recording your community service hours are kept outside of the Center in Gooding 203. Students can also print copies of forms from the Center’s website. Once service is done, bring the form to the Center.
Students can check their hours on my.ju.edu.
Where and How can I complete my service?
Students can complete their service requirements in a variety of ways.
- Take a service-learning course. These courses are designated in the course listings with a “C.”
- Sign up to be a regular server at a non-profit organization. The Center has a directory of suggested sites.
- Participate in an Alternative Break project where 25 or all 50 hours can be earned. See Programs and Projects.
Do transfer students have to do community service-learning?
The community service-learning requirement is prorated for transfer students depending on how many credits a student transfers.
Number of Credits Transferred
How much time do I have to complete the service requirement?
Students have 4 years to finish the service hours. It is suggested that students start during the freshman year and participate in service opportunities throughout their four years until finish.
When are service hours due for Fall 2014 graduating seniors? Friday, November 21st at noon to have Latin Honors announced at graduation. Friday, January 9th at noon is the deadline for all other graduates.
What kinds of activities do not count?
Some activities that will not count for community service include:
- Service done to complete requirements required for an infraction of a law or ordered by the court system
- Activities that are paid
- Volunteer work done at a student's place of employment without pay
- Service done to benefit the university, e.g., JU Ambassadors, helping at JU sports games/events or Spring Spruce-Up
- Service to benefit a JU club or organization
- Volunteering for a for-profit organization or business (doctor's office, restaurant, store, business)
- Volunteering for religious purposes (e.g., teaching Bible study, singing in the church choir, playing a musical instrument for the church services)
- Volunteering for an exclusive membership organization such as a country club.
This list is not all-inclusive so if you are unsure, please ask!