Home > 2011-2012 Course Catalog > General Requirements (Bachelors Degrees)
A minimum of 120 credit hours earned with at least a “C” (2.0) average for
all work taken at JU. A minimum of 30 credit hours must be completed at JU.
- A student is responsible for meeting the specific graduation requirements of
the selected degree and major. A student who pursues more than one major must
meet all degree requirements for each major.
- A student must have at least a “C” (2.0) average in the major.
- At least 12 credit hours in the major in courses numbered 300 or above must
be completed at JU.
- Students electing to pursue the requirements for a minor must attain at
least a “C” (2.0) average in all the courses required of the minor.
- The University is committed to ensuring that all of its graduates have
effective communication skills. The following requirements in writing, speech
and reading are designed to further that goal:
- Freshmen English (ENGL 103) requires a minimum grade of “C-” (1.67).
- Each major requires one upper-level course within its context area that is
writing intensive; e.g., a course requiring 6,000 words of written material
exclusive of tests. Writing in this course is judged for style and accuracy, as
well as for content. If the major program is unable to offer such a course, a
writing-intensive course in a cognate discipline or a writing course beyond ENGL
103 will suffice, if approved by the college dean. Writing-intensive courses are
designated “WI” in the Catalog.
- All students must complete one three-credit hour course in speech or a
speech-intensive course designated by the major. Speech-intensive courses are
designated “SI” in the Catalog.
- Based on placement results, Basic English (ENGL 100N) and Elements of
Composition (ENGL 101), along with Reading Strategies for College Students (EDU
101), may be required of incoming students.
- Forty-two credit hours must be in courses numbered 300 or above.
- The final 30 credit hours toward a bachelor’s degree must be completed at
JU. If a student participates in an approved JU Study Abroad Program, 15 of the
last 30 credits maybe completed in the Study Abroad Program.
- A student who earns a grade of “F” for a course at JU cannot repeat the same
course or a comparable course at another institution for transfer to
- Pass/Fail requirements for classes in the Core or Major are found in the
Academic Information Section of the catalog under Pass/Fail Option.
- Students completing the Bachelor of Arts degree must meet the foreign
language requirement. It is recognized that bilingual and non-native English
speaking students have special competencies and fulfill the spirit of the
foreign language requirement. Therefore, University policy is:
- Non-native English speaking students will have the foreign language
requirement waived. They will be identified as those students who submitted
TOEFL test scores as part of their entrance requirement to the University.
- Bilingual students will be assessed in their second language to determine
their proficiency level. The University may determine that the student is
sufficiently proficient in his/her second language competency to preclude an
assessment test and, therefore, waive the foreign language requirement on a
- A student is responsible for meeting the requirements of the Catalog under
which the student enters. A student may elect to change to the requirements of
subsequent Catalog editions. However, the student must then meet all the
requirements of the subsequent Catalog edition that is chosen. A student
automatically comes under a new Catalog when re-enrolling after an absence of
one year or more.
- The policy concerning the awarding of more than one bachelor’s degree
- Any additional bachelor’s degree to be earned by a student, either
coincident or subsequent to having earned an initial bachelor’s degree at JU or
elsewhere, will require a minimum of 30 credit hours credit in residence at JU
above and beyond the credit hours included in the initial degree.
- To be awarded an additional degree, the student must satisfy the
requirements of a major different than the major(s) earned with the initial
- The student must complete all core curriculum requirements for the
additional degree and major(s), including at least 12 credit hours in the
major(s) in courses numbered 300 or above.
- Jacksonville University will not award more than one of the same bachelor’s
degrees, i.e., Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts,
Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Music Education, Bachelor of Science in Nursing,
Bachelor of Business Administration, etc. It is, however, possible to earn more
than one bachelor’s degree provided that the degrees are different and all core
curriculum and major requirements are satisfied.
- The policy concerning the awarding of majors includes:
- A student may earn more than one major with a bachelor’s degree provided the
major is offered with the degree and all core curriculum and major requirements
for the degree and each major are satisfied.
- Subsequent to having earned a bachelor’s degree at JU, a student may
complete additional course work to satisfy the requirements of an additional
major. The awarding of additional majors will be indicated on the student’s
transcript as a comment at the end of the transcript provided all core
curriculum and major requirements for the degree and major are satisfied. This
policy does not extend to the awarding of additional minors.