Working toward the common goal of student success, the Career Development Center collaborates with Jacksonville University's academic community to offer a wide range of career services and programming, focused on assisting our students in their transition from student to professional.
How the CDC Collaborates with Faculty & Staff:
- Classroom visits and career information sessions
- Fill-in presentations during class cancellations
- Integration of career assignments into the course curriculum
- Professional panels and workshops
- Department outreaches and programming, aimed at specific student populations with general to specific career needs
- Connecting employers with faculty through events such as our Career Fairs
- Assistance in identifying quality experiential learning and internship opportunities
- Much more....
Faculty/Staff Frequently Asked Questions:
- As a resource, what can the CDC provide a student/alumnus?
The CDC's primary mission is to support the career development of our students and alumni. To this end, we provide a wide variety of services, ranging from career counseling and career resources (both online and printed) to career programming and job search assistance. For more information, please contact us at ext. 7054.
- There is a career development component to my class. Is the CDC available for assistance in this regard?
Yes, absolutely. Please do not hesitate to contact us, as we would be delighted to assist you. We are available to present brief (10 min.) to full-length (entire class period) presentations on a variety of career topics, including:
- An overview of CDC services
- Choosing a major
- Career exploration
- Resume, cover letter, personal statement, curriculum vitae writing
- Effective interviewing
- Networking and netiquette
- Professional etiquette...and other career-related topics
- Does the CDC provide career assessments?
Yes, if indicated. During the initial meeting with a career counselor, it will be determined whether or not a student is an appropriate candidate for career assessment.
- Will the CDC create a resume for a student?
No. However, we will guide a student/alumnus through the process of resume creation and/or revision. As the CDC employs a developmental approach to career counseling, our philosophy is to foster and facilitate career planning.
- I am aware of an internship/employment opportunity. Is there somewhere on campus that I could post it?
Yes, the CDC regularly lists and updates such opportunities. We utilize an online career management system, PHIN Connect, to market and inform students about internship/employment opportunities and upcoming career events.
Resources and Support for Faculty & Staff:
As faculty & staff, you may be directly involved in the employment process for recent graduates and alumni. Therefore, we would like to play a supportive role in your efforts by providing various related resources. Below are links to some resources that may prove helpful.
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE):